The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $current_page - Line: 35 - File: inc/plugins/newpoints/newpoints_buynametitle.php PHP 8.1.27-nfsn1 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/newpoints/newpoints_buynametitle.php 35 errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/newpoints.php 721 require_once
/inc/plugins/newpoints/core/hooks.php 196 newpoints_load_plugins
/inc/class_plugins.php 142 newpoints_plugins_start
/global.php 100 pluginSystem->run_hooks
/showthread.php 28 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $current_page - Line: 44 - File: inc/plugins/newpoints/newpoints_buynametitle.php PHP 8.1.27-nfsn1 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/newpoints/newpoints_buynametitle.php 44 errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/newpoints.php 721 require_once
/inc/plugins/newpoints/core/hooks.php 196 newpoints_load_plugins
/inc/class_plugins.php 142 newpoints_plugins_start
/global.php 100 pluginSystem->run_hooks
Warning [2] Undefined variable $unreadreports - Line: 107 - File: global.php(961) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27-nfsn1 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/global.php(961) : eval()'d code 107 errorHandler->error
/global.php 961 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $bam_announcements - Line: 111 - File: global.php(961) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27-nfsn1 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/global.php(961) : eval()'d code 111 errorHandler->error
/global.php 961 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "pointsview" - Line: 1442 - File: inc/plugins/newpoints/core/hooks.php PHP 8.1.27-nfsn1 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/newpoints/core/hooks.php 1442 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_plugins.php 142 newpoints_blockview
/showthread.php 470 pluginSystem->run_hooks
Warning [2] Undefined variable $profilelink - Line: 1001 - File: inc/plugins/thankyoulike.php PHP 8.1.27-nfsn1 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/thankyoulike.php 1001 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_plugins.php 142 thankyoulike_postbit
/inc/functions_post.php 878 pluginSystem->run_hooks
/showthread.php 1117 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $profilelink - Line: 1002 - File: inc/plugins/thankyoulike.php PHP 8.1.27-nfsn1 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/thankyoulike.php 1002 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $unapproved_shade - Line: 2 - File: inc/plugins/thankyoulike.php(1108) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27-nfsn1 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/thankyoulike.php(1108) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/thankyoulike.php 1108 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "thankyoulike" - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/thankyoulike.php(1108) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27-nfsn1 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/thankyoulike.php(1108) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $unapproved_shade - Line: 2 - File: inc/plugins/thankyoulike.php(1093) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27-nfsn1 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/thankyoulike.php(1093) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/thankyoulike.php 1093 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $unapproved_shade - Line: 2 - File: inc/plugins/thankyoulike.php(1093) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27-nfsn1 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $profilelink - Line: 1001 - File: inc/plugins/thankyoulike.php PHP 8.1.27-nfsn1 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $profilelink - Line: 1002 - File: inc/plugins/thankyoulike.php PHP 8.1.27-nfsn1 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $unapproved_shade - Line: 2 - File: inc/plugins/thankyoulike.php(1108) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27-nfsn1 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "thankyoulike" - Line: 5 - File: inc/plugins/thankyoulike.php(1108) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27-nfsn1 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 76 - File: showthread.php(1612) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27-nfsn1 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1612) : eval()'d code 76 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1612 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Alpha Test 01 - Suggestions
Lightbulb 
Please post all suggestions in this thread! Include screenshots and example visuals where relevant.
For general discussion about testing, feel free to start a new thread.

Quote: Wrote:Known bugs/unfinished features:
-pencil tool doesn’t follow fast strokes
-paint bucket tool very slow
-bases not in order
-trading and shop is not available yet
I have a bunch of suggestions for you! Smile I was trying to think about how intuitive the options are and the general appearance of the app, and what I would want in my ideal virtual pet app. Hopefully some of these will be helpful!

The image on the app icon itself is currently a little blurry. https://imgur.com/EGjby26 For a pixel-based game, I'd suggest making the icon more pixelated, more reflective of what the actual finished pet looks like.

Color palettes:
It might be neat if you could apply a default color palette to a selected pet as a whole, instead of choosing the individual colors one by one. Obviously the idea is to be creative, but the option to use a preselected color palette might be nice too. You could leave it as is or edit it to your liking.
Once I've purchased a color palette, I would like to have an individual palette showing all of the colors available to me, preferably sorted by color. I would prefer that over the "recently selected colors" option. The current method makes it more difficult to use various shades of the same color, because I have to go looking for individual colors in the palettes I have available to me.
Right now it also takes some effort to find the palettes that I've purchased, because the text is small and they look very similar to the palettes that are still available for purchase. Maybe some sort of color coding so purchased palettes show up in a more obvious way, or have purchased palettes separated from the unpurchased ones.
I'd also like more naturally colored palettes, blacks and browns and whatnot. Those colors are available but in different palettes, so it takes some effort if you want a brown bear or something to get all the colors you'd like to use. (Maybe that's the point. Big Grin)

Selecting a pet:
Prices are all the same. This is probably because it's the testing version but I obviously like the idea of some pets being more "valuable" than others. Big Grin Currently you get three templates of a pet when you purchase one and I can't decide if I like that or not, LOL. I think if you were purchasing only one it kind of adds to the feeling of individuality of the pet, but I'm probably putting too much thought into that. Big Grin
There aren't any literal bugs here! Big Grin As an invertebrate geek I would like to request some beetles or a big-eyed jumping spider or a praying mantis or scorpion or adorable inchworm or something.
There is no difference between pets I've purchased and ones I haven't aside from the text beneath them. Some color coding or something would be helpful to quickly ID which bases I have available to work on. Also, to select a base I have to click on it and then hit next. If a base is available, I'd rather that clicking take me directly to the editing page instead of hitting the "next" button at the top. (I'm currently in the app and upon just clicking "next," I got "Debug" text on the base selection page before it took me to the editing page.)

Creating a pet:
I love that I can enlarge the pet to basically whatever size I want to edit it. That really helps with making sure the paint tool puts things where I want it. However, it takes two fingers to "drag" the pet around the screen, which took me longer than I want to admit to figure out, LOL. Enlarging with two fingers is intuitive, but having to use two fingers to drag it is not. (At least it isn't for me, people who use other art apps may be used to this, I don't know how common it is.) Dragging it is also a little laggy and it doesn't always go where I was intending it to.
I like the grid option, and the "preview" at a smaller size option, those are really useful.
The color selection square isn't centered which makes my OCD itch, and the red text is overlapping onto the "autosave" notification. https://imgur.com/5uXYwkH I like the idea of knowing how many pixels I have left to use, but the red text is a little distracting, and might be better in the actual color square as a number in black or something. Sometimes the text for pixels left is red, sometimes it's black, and sometimes it's white, and I don't know why there's a difference.
I don't know what the empty "pencil" icon on the lower right is. It doesn't seem to do anything, or if it does I haven't figured out what that is yet.
The paint bucket tool can be pretty laggy but you know that already. Smile
The "back" button can be very slow sometimes, and occasionally trying to go back to the edit screen ends up with me back at the pet selection stage because I got impatient and pressed "back" again when it didn't go fast enough the first time.
When entering in a description, the text shows up twice, one in the text box and once in the gray description box. It's a little redundant and I'd rather just have the text show up one way or the other instead of twice. https://imgur.com/dKv8nFL (Another potential bug that I just got: If you go to the publish page but don't actually hit publish, it seems to freeze up on a blank "create" screen and has to be restarted.)

Ooookay I got really long-winded there, I'm sorry. >_< Most of that is really just opinion on what I would like the program to do for me personally so take it all with a grain of salt. (I really would love some pet stag beetles or something though, hook me up. Big Grin) I hope at least some of it is useful and sorry for writing a novel, LOL. I really like the app and I've been having a lot of fun fooling around with it. (And now I know not to try to publish my pets so I will still get to look at them and make some more fun ones before I run out of money!)
[-] The following 2 users Like ouroboros's post:
  • sketchi, WreckedCarHotdog
I really like the suggestions raised above! One more is the option to restart my pet or something similar, add back in the shading. I accidentally scribbled over my frogs eye and his shading and ended up losing where the default shading pixels are so I had to make my own eyeball and try and remember where the shaded pixels were on his body, if that makes sense
[-] The following 2 users Like croag's post:
  • sketchi, ouroboros
@croag
ooh I see, a reset button or at least delete draft button would be a good idea. and yeah, maybe keeping shading on a separate layer in the future would be good, but for now I'm just trying to keep it to super basic functions (so no layers for the user). hmm

@ouroboros
Thanks so much for the in-depth feedback!!
yeah ignore the ugly icon and prices of the petz for now. xD

Ok, better UI for the palettes, more types of bundles, center color select, font size fixes, text color shouldn't be red, clean up double-descriptions, optimize speed between pages etc.

For panning, what do you suggest other than using two fingers? Since one finger dragging should just be coloring, so it might be kinda difficult to mix that up. Any examples that are more intuitive? I'm all ears! ^^

(03-24-2018, 12:56 AM)ouroboros Wrote: I have a bunch of suggestions for you! Smile I was trying to think about how intuitive the options are and the general appearance of the app, and what I would want in my ideal virtual pet app. Hopefully some of these will be helpful!

The image on the app icon itself is currently a little blurry. https://imgur.com/EGjby26 For a pixel-based game, I'd suggest making the icon more pixelated, more reflective of what the actual finished pet looks like.

Color palettes: 
It might be neat if you could apply a default color palette to a selected pet as a whole, instead of choosing the individual colors one by one. Obviously the idea is to be creative, but the option to use a preselected color palette might be nice too. You could leave it as is or edit it to your liking. 
Once I've purchased a color palette, I would like to have an individual palette showing all of the colors available to me, preferably sorted by color. I would prefer that over the "recently selected colors" option. The current method makes it more difficult to use various shades of the same color, because I have to go looking for individual colors in the palettes I have available to me.
Right now it also takes some effort to find the palettes that I've purchased, because the text is small and they look very similar to the palettes that are still available for purchase. Maybe some sort of color coding so purchased palettes show up in a more obvious way, or have purchased palettes separated from the unpurchased ones. 
I'd also like more naturally colored palettes, blacks and browns and whatnot. Those colors are available but in different palettes, so it takes some effort if you want a brown bear or something to get all the colors you'd like to use. (Maybe that's the point. Big Grin)

Selecting a pet:
Prices are all the same. This is probably because it's the testing version but I obviously like the idea of some pets being more "valuable" than others. Big Grin Currently you get three templates of a pet when you purchase one and I can't decide if I like that or not, LOL. I think if you were purchasing only one it kind of adds to the feeling of individuality of the pet, but I'm probably putting too much thought into that. Big Grin
There aren't any literal bugs here! Big Grin As an invertebrate geek I would like to request some beetles or a big-eyed jumping spider or a praying mantis or scorpion or adorable inchworm or something. 
There is no difference between pets I've purchased and ones I haven't aside from the text beneath them. Some color coding or something would be helpful to quickly ID which bases I have available to work on. Also, to select a base I have to click on it and then hit next. If a base is available, I'd rather that clicking take me directly to the editing page instead of hitting the "next" button at the top. (I'm currently in the app and upon just clicking "next," I got "Debug" text on the base selection page before it took me to the editing page.)

Creating a pet:
I love that I can enlarge the pet to basically whatever size I want to edit it. That really helps with making sure the paint tool puts things where I want it. However, it takes two fingers to "drag" the pet around the screen, which took me longer than I want to admit to figure out, LOL. Enlarging with two fingers is intuitive, but having to use two fingers to drag it is not. (At least it isn't for me, people who use other art apps may be used to this, I don't know how common it is.) Dragging it is also a little laggy and it doesn't always go where I was intending it to. 
I like the grid option, and the "preview" at a smaller size option, those are really useful. 
The color selection square isn't centered which makes my OCD itch, and the red text is overlapping onto the "autosave" notification. https://imgur.com/5uXYwkH I like the idea of knowing how many pixels I have left to use, but the red text is a little distracting, and might be better in the actual color square as a number in black or something. Sometimes the text for pixels left is red, sometimes it's black, and sometimes it's white, and I don't know why there's a difference. 
I don't know what the empty "pencil" icon on the lower right is. It doesn't seem to do anything, or if it does I haven't figured out what that is yet. 
The paint bucket tool can be pretty laggy but you know that already. Smile
The "back" button can be very slow sometimes, and occasionally trying to go back to the edit screen ends up with me back at the pet selection stage because I got impatient and pressed "back" again when it didn't go fast enough the first time. 
When entering in a description, the text shows up twice, one in the text box and once in the gray description box. It's a little redundant and I'd rather just have the text show up one way or the other instead of twice. https://imgur.com/dKv8nFL (Another potential bug that I just got: If you go to the publish page but don't actually hit publish, it seems to freeze up on a blank "create" screen and has to be restarted.)

Ooookay I got really long-winded there, I'm sorry. >_< Most of that is really just opinion on what I would like the program to do for me personally so take it all with a grain of salt. (I really would love some pet stag beetles or something though, hook me up. Big Grin) I hope at least some of it is useful and sorry for writing a novel, LOL. I really like the app and I've been having a lot of fun fooling around with it. (And now I know not to try to publish my pets so I will still get to look at them and make some more fun ones before I run out of money!)
> For panning, what do you suggest other than using two fingers? Since one finger dragging should just be coloring, so it might be kinda difficult to mix that up. Any examples that are more intuitive? I'm all ears! ^^

Honestly I don't think I have any better ideas, as I don't have any idea how it works on the programming end of things. In general, I'm used to being able to pan around an image with one finger, so that was what I kept trying to do, and I discovered it was two fingers mostly by accident. I can see how it might be problematic with coloring, and I don't know if there's a way to differentiate on the back end. If there isn't, panning with two fingers isn't necessarily bad, I just didn't figure it out very quickly. If that's the easiest way to deal with it, I'd say maybe add some sort of little "tutorial" or "tips" page the first time a user edits a pet, just so it's clear from the get-go how to move the pet around the screen.
I will try to add panning with 1 finger if user touches outside the drawable area of the canvas, see if that works...

edit;
so 1 finger panning doesn't really work that well, buuut good call about tutorial for panning and I'll think about where to add that in!
Two suggestions - though they'll probably be for the distant future! I think it would be cool if users could create palettes to sell... and to use on their own petz, obviously. Getting to create a palette should come at a price, though!

My second suggestion would be some sort of way to copy an earlier design onto a new pet (of the same species), or to be able to save drafts without them necessarily being on an available base. That'd make it much easier to make variations/recolours/etc.!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Arie's post:
  • sketchi
Random suggestion?
Maybe you can add.. editable icons? Or have a link to your Cs PixelPetZ page?
(05-09-2018, 05:57 PM)Arie Wrote: Two suggestions - though they'll probably be for the distant future! I think it would be cool if users could create palettes to sell... and to use on their own petz, obviously. Getting to create a palette should come at a price, though!

My second suggestion would be some sort of way to copy an earlier design onto a new pet (of the same species), or to be able to save drafts without them necessarily being on an available base. That'd make it much easier to make variations/recolours/etc.!

1. that's a definite possibility, although I'm still working on making it as intuitive as possible.

2. hmm yes, like a basefile in PF petz. I'm thinking maybe you could 'clone' your published petz into a draft again, as long as you had the necessary palette/bases available (or just pay a fee equivalent of those colors/bases). although that might conflict with custom palettes, hmmmmm